For time and the world do not stand still. Change is the law of life and those who look only to the past and the present are certain to miss the future.
A risk is a chance you take; if it fails you can recover. A gamble is a chance taken; if it fails, recovery is impossible.
Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide.
There is no-one who cannot vastly improve their leadership through study.
I would define leadership as the projection of personality. It is that combination of persuasion, compulsion and example that makes other people do what you want them to do.
Leadership is the art of achieving more than the science of management says is possible.
We should be doing something even better than you could do for yourself. Otherwise, why hire an advisor?
Think to the Finish
The Five Ninths Panel
Contributors to our articles are:
David, a retired Royal Marines Major General, with extensive practical experience of leading national and multi-national teams and organisations - military and civilian - on politically sensitive and high profile operations and assignments worldwide.
Richard has advised on policy at the highest level of government and currently advises a major, multi-national, innovative business on a wide range of issues
Edward was a senior partner in a major global advisory practice and his experience delivers convincing, knowledgeable and relevant opinion
CASE STUDY - A NATIONAL ENGINEERING CONSULTANCY
What Was the Challenge?
Five Ninths were engaged by a business delivering training and apprenticeships across the UK, characterised by:
- Some fast, but inconsistent, growth
- Disjointed leadership structure
- Incoherent strategy
- Tension and friction
- Capability and competency gaps
What Did We Do?
- A bespoke, broad 'health check' focused to deliver a clear assessment across the business
- Design and implementation of a series of exercises, bounded by a practical timeline
- The articulation of a clear strategy
- A radical change in the management hierarchy
- Understanding of delegation, succession planning and incentivisation
- Mentoring sessions to the leaders of the business, alongside a period of coaching to support the development of the succession management team
What Was the Result?
- A rigorous and effective management process across the organisation
- An effective management process that delivered better delegation and coordination and, which ultimately, removed the friction from the business
- Alignment of purpose, ambition and motivation, not just amongst the senior leadership team but throughout the organisation
- A period of major growth in value and a stable business
"Five Ninths really helped us to move forward - we had hit a glass ceiling and didn't understand how to push through it."